2C: Immersion Guide
You can alternate between these focuses daily or weekly. It's up to you to figure out what fits best into your life, your interests, and your energy levels.
Below, we’ve created example immersion plans for each of the two activities above. Both immersion plans assume you are trying to master the slice-of-life domain.
- Watching: Friends with subtitles
- Reading: A slice of life comic book
- Reading: Personal blogs
- Try to understand every unknown word and create cards for nearly all of them.
- Listen to the audio from Friends so you can hear the words you're learning in Anki.
Free-flow immersion without supports:
- Watching: How I met your Mother
- Watching: YouTube videos with personal anecdotes
- Listening: Podcasts with personal anecdotes
By the end of Stage 2C, you should have level 5 comprehension of slice-of-life content meant for adults. Use the following instructions to test yourself.
Choose an episode of a slice-of-life TV show that you have never seen before. Turn off the subtitles. Watch the entire episode without pausing or rewinding. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Can you hear nearly every word spoken?
- Can you understand every detail of the plot?
- Can you automatically understand the majority of the dialogue without having to think about it?
If the answer is no to any of them, don't worry! Just keep immersing and you'll be ready for Stage 3 in no time.
If the answer to all three is yes, then you're ready for Stage 3. Congratulations!